Monday, March 20, 2006

Monday Morning on the 4 train

Good morning bloggerinoes. Did you have a good St. Pattie's weekend? Well enough of the chit-chat, I'd like to tell you a little story before I start my work for the day. I take the 4 train every morning from brooklyn heights, to 42nd Street and it's always packed. Today was no exception. The problem with a packed train in NYC is that there are always assholes on it. Always. They're either taking up 6 seats, or wearing a backpack 3 times their size and knocking people over, or they're pushing their entire back up against the pole so nobody else can hold onto it. These people piss everybody off, not just me. I've often complained with other New Yorkers about these assholes, but usually I never say anything to them, untill today.

This morning I was standing on the train, minding my own business, and watching the beginning of "The Weather Man" on my TAVI. I was standing. I noticed that someone sitting next to me got up to get off at a stop, and when they did, the person in the seat next to them, slid over to occupy two seats. No I don't want to come off as an ignorant racist, or anything like that, but this guy was "thugged out". I say this, because if this situation had taken place in the middle of the night, on an almost empty train, I probably would not have said a word.

But it was 8:40 am on a packed 4 train, I was already in a bad mood, it this just did it for me. Another man, tried to sit down next to the "thug" but he would not move over. It made me happy that the mad made it a point to sit anyway. He squeezed himself in between the thug and anothe person, but there was still a good 1 foot of space that the thug would not slide over into.

I finally spoke. I told the guy to just move over and stop being a dick. By the time I realized what I was sayign it was too late. The thug said "What!?" and I said again, "I'm sick of people being dicks on the subway for no good reason. Move over, let the guy sit down, and stop being a dick!" Well the thug moved over, and when the train got to Grand Central, I walked as fast as I could up to my office. I was shocked that I had said something, but it felt good. It felt good to hear a handful of other people on the train agree with me, and scold the thug.

I'm writing this, not to praise myself, but to tell other people out there. When somebody is being an asshole, just for the sake of being an asshole, say something. It really makes a difference. All it takes is that one voice to get everybody started.

DON'T BE A DICK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! It takes a lot to stand up to things like that. Good thing for you he didn't have a gun; but then again, good thing for him you didn't either!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Geoffram. Nothing is more aggravating then someone deliberatly ignoring common courtesy, glad you were able to put this mook in his place.

I'll have to tell you some stories from the commuter bus sometime.

Peace and Love
-respekt da bunnies!