Friday, April 14, 2006

Google Calendar

For those of you out there who haven't heard yet, Google has released their Calendar web application. For some reason, I hadn't heard much about it. I knew they were comming out with something, but I didn't know that it was already public. Anyway, if you have a gmail account, you can sign up for the calendar too by going to calendar.google.com (or just click the link below). My first impressions are pretty good. The layout is good, and there is a fair amount of customization that can be done. Also, something that I have already become addicted to is having SMS alerts on my cell phone when I have an appointment comming up. Supposedly, the calendar will become more integrated with gmail, and hopefully you will be able to add invitations that come from Outlook, with one click. But it's not there yet. The calendar sharing is nice, but as I am kind fo an exile from the geek community, I have no one to share my calendar with :( but I also don't have much stuff on it. Adding appointments is pretty easy. I like how you can just type in something like "7pm Dinner with Les" or "Lunch with Pam at 1pm". I did have a few problems with getting the integrated RSS feed working in firefox, but have not done a lot of testing with it. Basically, this is obviously beta software. And not Gmail beta either. It's got a ways to go but it looks like a really good start.

Now if only I lived in San Fransisco and could get free Google WiFi too. Oh well.

No comments: