Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Windows Patch Without Permission?

So has everyone heard about the big WMF exploit in Windows? No? Well let me sum it up. An exploit was found in just about every version of M$ Windows that could allow any type of arbitrary code to be run, simply by viewing a specific type of picture. You could view it over the web (vie IE, Firefox, or any other browser) or it could be in your e-mail. It was a pretty big hole in the OS. But now it has been patched by microsoft. Oh, did you not know about the patch? That's because M$ set it to some kind of secret high priority, and even if your updates are set to download and notify only, that patch was downloaded, installed, and your computer was rebooted. I didn't understand why I came home one day and my machine was rebooted, but that little bubble told me that an update was installed. No maybe your thinking, well at least I'm safe now, but think about it. This means that M$ can install anything on your machine, whenever they feel like it, without your knowledge. Now I'm no lawyer, but isn't that what Sony is getting sued for? You paid for your M$ Windows. That's supposed to mean that you own it, not that it owns you!!!

Voice your opinions and stories here folks.
I'll be keeping up with this story as it unfolds.

No comments: